We are headed to the Big Island this time. We've explored Maui and Kauai together, so we wanted to go somewhere new. Even though I was on the Big Island many years ago, it will be much different getting to explore hikes and waterfalls that my family wasn't much into but Ryan and I are. We got a great deal on flights since 1) the prices are lower in June and 2) we have a $50 companion ticket. We also got great deals on the condos we'll be staying in on each side of the island. I'll post more about that after we return.
For a mini-graduation celebration, Ryan took me down to watch the sunset along with some chocolate and champagne. Here are some of the sunset pictures from that evening.
Two weekends ago I went to a women's retreat with my church. I only went for one day since I was still recovering from the Swine Flu (yep....I am an official CDC case). It was nice to get to chat with other women, but I wish I would have had more time and energy to visit with others. I spent a good chunk of the free time resting by the lake since I was still feeling a bit under the weather. Don't worry, I was supposed to be past the contagious stage. The retreat was up by Mount Rainier though we were mostly in the woods.

Memorial Day weekend, we went for a hike out I-90. The drive was gorgeous!! When we got there, the road had been washed out about 2 miles from the trail head. That wasn't on the national forest trail conditions page that I'd checked. : / Ryan thought we should use our GPS and try a short cut. The short cut was probably point to point shorter, but it was straight uphill. I was pooped after just that part. Soon after we got to the trail head, people told us that there was snow further up and you couldn't continue because you'd sink up to your thighs. We had hoped to get to two lakes and some nice mountain overlooks. We just saw the woods and turned around with the snow news.
We decided to go to Bellevue Botanical Gardens afterwards to enjoy the (free) gardens.

After church on Sunday, we went to the Folklife Festival in Seattle. I'd never seen so many people in one place in Washington before!! You'd think I was in L.A. This festival was about music and dance from America and countries around the world. There was the full gamot of people including the typical Washington hippies.

The two pics on the right are from the same band. I wish I would have taken a video. There were a few other people with homemade instruments like the saw the girl is playing. They were pretty neat.
I've been trying to pray and meditate more on being less fearful and trusting and loving God with my heart, soul, mind, and strength. God has been reminding me that "my life" is not mine. I have been created for Him (Colossians 1:16). I think it's easy to say that I want God's will in my life.....but whatever that may be?? His will may be something that brings great pain to me--losing my husband, a child with severe medical needs, etc.--but if it will bring Him glory, then I want to really be willing to receive it. I'm not quite there. These are just some thoughts I've been reading and praying about. I can get too stressed about the day to day, and I'm trying to be heavenly focused and keep the right perspective.Next Thursday will be my last day of Spring quarter teaching. Then I have a two week break--partially in Hawaii!! : D I'm not 100% sure what I'll be teaching this summer yet. It depends on the budget. I may continue teaching full-time to the refugee class that I've been teaching this quarter, or I'll be teaching just two nights a week for regular ESL. I'd like the two nights a week for the summer, but I have a feeling that I'll be working full-time again.
So now it's back to lesson planning and getting ready for all of the end of the quarter testing and grading.

1 comment:
Hey Elizabeth, you should submit that top photo to a magazine photo contest! Is that a rhodie? I think they are "canterbury bells"? It is gorgeous and could win big $$ :-)))
Post a Comment